Sunday 27 November, 2011

Real Pulsar in Hand



Hi guys,
This post is specially meant for all Bajaj Pulsar owners.
    
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

   
I bought my pulsar on 19th jan 2010. This was the first bike, and geared vehicle of my life! Before riding this I had never ridden any bikes, and also, before riding my bike I even didnt know how to drive geared bike and do a double ride! I had learnt, bike riding for only 2 hours, before getting on to my new bike. And the bike i used for learning, was Bajaj Discover 135 cc. So while learning, I never faced any problem in changing gear. Even when the bike was new, there was no problem at all, in changing gear, until and after the first free service.

I gave it for the servicing, in Popular Bajaj. Then after the servicing, immediately there was no problem. Just after 300 km of riding, the engine started to produce kind of sound, by which you can easily predict that, the engine has lost its smoothness. And its the complaint of all the pulsar users, that pulsar engine, looses engine smoothness very early, and gear shifting becomes notchy. Even I started to notice, problem while gear shifting, when engine became hot. There was a problem of, clutch slippage when engine was hot! Due to that, there were false neutrals, and knocking problem, when the engine was hot! So I, immediately contacted, the service centre guys. They did not find any problem, and couldnt understand, what i am telling at all! Then i thought, may be since, I am new to  bike riding, I am not properly engaging the clutch! Even I showed my bike, to outside mechanics. They adviced me to change, the clutch plates, which are worth 960 rupees! So I thought, it was not a possible deal, to change such new clutch plates! Even till 7000 km, nobody could point out, what was the problem. But I had started to realise, that it was not due to, my amateur biking. Because, when i rode my brother's bike, I could shift gears, butter smoothly.

Finally I decided, this time before giving it to servicing, I have to find-out the problem. So following are the, points of importance. This problem, all pulsar owners face, is called 'clutch slippage'. Its a characteristic problem, seen in bikes with wet clutch. I mean, where the clutch plates are inside the engine chamber, and bathed or lubricated, by engine oil itself. This problem, is due to improper selection of engine oils. So I studied, how to choose engine oils and what are, JASO standards. While choosing the engine oil, two factors to be considered are, 1. The lowest atmospheric temperature of the place, we live in, and, 2. The segment in which, your bike fits. I mean to say, is it a commuting bike? that is below 125cc, or a performance bike? that is above 135 cc. So in multigrade engine oils, for example 20w50, the first number denotes, the lowest temperature your bike, can face. And the second number denotes, how much heat protection, it can provide to your engine. For example, 20w50 provides more heat protection, than 20w40. And also, 15w50 oil can perform better, in colder environment than, 20w50 oil. So, what I did was, first I looked into my bike's manual, for recommended grade of engine oil. It recommends 20w50. Then, since I live in, Bangalore, sometimes in winter, the temperature goes below 20 degree centigrade. So, I searched for 15w50 grade oils.

There are many companies, offering this grade of oil. But only Motul and one more company makes 15w50 grade oil with Anti-clutch slippage technology. So I chose Motul. In Motul, there are 3 oils with anti-clutch slippage technology. Motul 5100, Motul 7100 and Motul 300v. Finally this time, while servicing, changed previous oil with Motul 5100 because Motul 300V costs more than 900. Now, no gear shifting problems, no clutch slippage and no more false neutrals. Bike gives the feeling of, same smoothness all day long, whether engine is cold or hot.

Burn the tyres as you like.  Now, the real pulsar, is in hand!

No comments: